Friday, October 11, 2013

Making changes

I think God sent me a wake up call on September 13th this year. It just happened to be a Friday. I was coming home from work, taking my usual path and a lady ran a red light and slammed into my car. I was spun 90 degrees and two of my tires lifted off the ground before slamming back down. I was so thankful the car didn't roll over. Someone from a business came out who had seen the whole thing came out and told the police what she had seen. I was so thankful that she actually looked up and noticed the lights. My car was damaged slightly, she hit right on the rear tire, but I ended up with whiplash. I have since been to the chiropractor at least a dozen times. At first I was really depressed about the pain and also about missing a weekend we had planned with friends to go kayaking. But as I have started getting better I have decided that maybe God was trying to tell me something.
About a week before the accident I stepped on the scale was just devastated at the number. How could that even be possible? I stepped off and on several times thinking the scale had to be crazy...but yep, there it was in black and white, I was 10 pounds from the weight I said I would never ever see...I weighed 290 lbs!!  After the accident I turned to my normal stupid comfort foods and spent way too much time laying around feeling sorry for myself. And then I don't know if my brain had just had enough or what but a switch was thrown. The next day was Senior Night for my son's soccer team and I had to take pictures. With every snap of my camera I could only think that next year I would have to walk across that field and hug my son, and I wanted him to be proud that I was his mom. I wanted to feel and look good walking across that field. The next day I started trying to figure out how I was going to get this done. I knew my weakness was afternoon lunch. I hate coming home and not knowing what I am going to eat. I also hate having to take a long time to make it, because if I am hungry I will snack while I'm making lunch. So I decided I would get some frozen meals to start and see if that helped. I have had a couple of set backs. Sunday morning being one of the worst as Dave always brings home muffins and donuts in the morning. But overall I have done pretty well. I joined Weight Watchers Online this week and have been very good about tracking my food and water. And just for the heck of it I actually got some activity in as well! I stepped on the scale today, even though I'm not supposed to weigh until Tuesday...and I am down 10 lbs! I am thrilled! I feel pretty good and have started changing some habits, like eating breakfast, getting enough sleep. The Weight Watchers website really helps with making little changes. I am not one that  takes to changes very easily, but I am really hoping that with baby steps I can be successful! I also joined a weight loss challenge with some friends, so that should help keep me motivated also!

No comments:

Post a Comment